Frozen Grass Blog 1

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Observations on Life in Darwin Town


I used to think that I would find the perfect place, and the more I think about Darwin the more I think that I have found it.

What Goes On

While I was in Darwin town I would eat breakfast in the little cafe at the bottom of the hotel. I was greeted each morning by the lovely staff, a wonderful coffee, muesli and a newspaper with 'Stabbed in the back while having sex' emblazoned across the front page. Apparently this sort of news is normal up there. So, as long as I am not the man being stabbed in the back while having sex, I think I could quite happily read about it in the morning over a cold, sugary grapefruit.

What You Can See

Crocodiles. According to the NT News they are everywhere.

I didn't see one, although I could feel them watching me from the dark of every street drain I passed.

You can also see very nice park areas and a bush turkey mound. I discovered that bush turkeys are avid recyclers as they collect those recycled/recyclable bags you buy in supermarkets. Apparently building a mound containing 'green' bags and other recyclable products widens the field of available lady turkeys.

Who Lives There

There is poverty and there is wealth. They are both obvious and are worn on Darwin's sleeve. The poor sit around in park areas (not the malls strangely) and the outer edges of the city. The rich people
wear horse blinkers and can be found buying recycled/recyclable bags in your local supermarket. Neither group read the NT Times, however both feature prominently in its pages. The rest of the people, if they aren't tourists, backpackers or turkeys, are very relaxed, down to earth people.

The Weather

Brilliant. It is hot and humid and makes me NEED spicy food and gin and tonics. And beer. This is a climate made for me.

I wonder what the family will think...

No comments:

Picture 072 Blog